Car clue in Cedar Pocket torso investigation

Witnesses believe they saw a Nissan Micra in the area where a human torso was found in Cedar Pocket. Photo: SuppliedPolice investigating a baffling case where a burnt human torso was found on the side of a rural Queensland road have identified a car seen in the area prior to the body being found.
Nanjing Night Net

Investigators believe a small orange, gold or bronze Nissan Micra hatchback was seen in the area prior to the discovery of the remains in Cedar Pocket, about 17 kilometres east of Gympie.

The car was seen by witnesses near the Tin Can Bay and Rainbow Beach areas on September 19 last year before the body was found at 6.27pm that evening.

The driver of the car has been described as a middle-aged Caucasian woman of medium build with blonde/brown hair.

The torso was found decapitated, with both arms removed below the elbow.

Detectives are yet to identify the victim, but DNA testing on the remains has revealed that the deceased is a man aged between 40 and 80 years old, who was likely to be more than 183 centimetres tall with a solid build.

Forensic examinations showed the man had been taking prescription medication named Quinine. Earlier this year, police said they were trying to contact GPs and pharmacies to find further clues on the man’s identity.

Police also found a burnt beach towel at the scene.

Anyone with information should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or at crimestoppers南京夜网.au.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Queensland needs 100 new schools: Planning Commission

The Schools Planning Commission has mapped the hotspots in need of new schools over the next 20 years.The Schools Planning Commission has determined more than 100 new schools will probably be needed across the state in the next 20 years – and it is already failing to take into account about 38,000 students.
Nanjing Night Net

Education Minister John-Paul Langbroek tasked the commission with mapping Queensland’s growth areas and returning with a plan of where new schools would be needed and when.

But the most up to date statistics it had to use were from 2011. And in three short years, the estimates have blown out even further.

“What you are seeing…is a final determination for new schools over the next 20 years, commission chair Bob Quinn said. “Already, I have to say because of the change in data that has come from the Bureau of Statistics, it is somewhat out of date.”

“We are 38,000 students short of our estimates at the moment.

“The latest numbers signed off by the Treasurer, only about a month ago, means that there is a another 38,000 students coming into this state over the next 20 years.

“So you can see how important this process was. These maps will be updated every 12 months from recommendations that we’ve made to the minister and from there, all of the stakeholders will be continued to be involved in terms of where they are planning new schools, what type of new schools, what the time frame will be, how large they’ll be.

“So there will be a sharing of information like there has never been before to make sure that very scarce resources aren’t wasted as we build into the future.”

The plan covers suburbs of the Gold Coast, such as Robina, as well as growing regional areas such Cairns, Mackay and Beaudesert.

A funding model for the new schools is still to be worked out. The government has 11 new schools in the pipeline, which will be finished in the next couple of years. Ten of those were funded through a public-private partnership model with The Plenary Schools Consortium.

Under the PPP, the consortium builds the schools in exchange for a 30-year maintenance contract with the government.

Mr Langbroek said the hows and whens of building the new schools, estimated to be between 99 and 119, with up to 83 primary schools and 36 high schools, would be determined at a later date. But he reiterated the importance of the commission, working together with the government and independent and Catholic schools sectors to ensure needs were met quickly and, at the same time, some areas were not inundated with unnecessary facilities, while others faced over-crowding.

He said the change to the statistics indicated how “volatile” the Queensland population-growth figures were.

“As we have already heard, there are 38,000 new children, prospectively, then we might have planned for before,” he said.

“We need to make sure that just in certain areas there might be some changes….we need to be able to look at the data, see where we are now and make sure we adapt for the future.”

For more information head to www.education.qld.gov.au/schools/schools-planning-commission.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Price of love: the real cost of tying the knot

THE SKY’S THE LIMIT: Grant Hopson and Amanda Brodbeck were floored to find out how much a wedding costs these days. Photo: Barry Smith 101213BSD03Source: Northern Daily Leader
Nanjing Night Net

LOCAL love-birds on the quest for the perfect wedding are forking out an average of $54,294 to tie the knot.

Bride to Be magazine’s most recent Cost of Love survey results show the total cost of the average Australian wedding is now a heart-stopping $54,294 – almost the same amount as the respondents’ average annual income.

In the past decade alone the cost of a wedding has almost doubled, according to Bride to Be editor Sarah Stevens.

Tamworth’s Amanda Brodbeck fiance Grant Hopson are in the process of planning their dream wedding.

The couple will say “I do” in front of about 100 guests at the picturesque Tangaratta Vineyard in November.

Like many modern brides,Ms Brodbeck said she was shocked to find out how much it would cost to turn her envisaged nuptials into reality.

“Gee wiz it’s pricey,” she said.

“Just everything in general.”

Even with “a bit of help” from both sets of parents, the cost of their special day is still smarting, Ms Brodbeck said.

“My parents are doing the traditional thing, buying my wedding gown, and my partner’s parents are contributing towards the bar and things like that, but it’s still ridiculous. It’s really a deposit for a house,” she said.

The 28-year-old has set a budget of $25,000 for the momentous occasion, excluding the honeymoon, but concedes they will probably go over it, as some things, such as lasting memories, are priceless.

“I don’t think you can budget for photography. It’s such a big thing to be able to look back on your special day in 50 years,” Ms Brodbeck said.

“I didn’t want something cheap, I wanted to make sure I get great photos.”

Although it is going to cost the couple a mint, Ms Brodbeck said she would not have it any other way.

“Every girl dreams of being a princess for the day and that’s what I’ve always dreamt of. Having the big white dress, beautiful flowers and the big cake. I’m loving it, I love (planning) it. I just can’t wait for the day to be here so I can see it all come together,” she said.

Expulsions skyrocket as schools won’t cop it anymore

Expulsions skyrocket as schools won’t cop it anymore Public Schools NSW director for Albury, Peter Smith, believes the rising number in suspensions and expulsions does not reflect deteriorating standards of behaviour. Pictures: DYLAN ROBINSON
Nanjing Night Net

Parent Philip Evans does not believe suspensions and expulsions reflect a high rate of trouble in public schools. Picture: DYLAN ROBINSON

Parents Joanne Moir was confident the higher suspensions kept her children safe. Picture: DYLAN ROBINSON

TweetFacebookSource: Border Mail

THE number of students expelled from Riverina schools has skyrocketed from two to 20 in two years, new NSW Education Department data has revealed.

The jump in expulsions coincided with an increase in those students suspended from Albury schools and the district that runs from Mulwala to Jingellic.

There were 149 Riverina students suspended in 2012 for more than four days, an increase on 138 in 2011 and 133 in 2010.

The data did not reveal the number of expulsions in Albury and district.

The results also reveal most students were being suspended for physical violence and persistent misbehaviour.

Public Schools NSW director for Albury, Peter Smith, said the figures were not a reflection of worse behaviour but of schools taking steps to provide greater safety.

“It’s a small number when you think about how many students there are,” Mr Smith said.

Although students had been expelled, Mr Smith said it did not mean they were excluded from the system.

“Just because they are expelled from one school doesn’t mean we wipe our hands of them,” he said.

“The department works with students and families to find a suitable alternative.

“If they are expelled from one school, they might be able to go to another school, a behavioural school or TAFE.

“We have a responsibility to find an education avenue for each student.”

One Border parent yesterday said he did not believe the rise in suspensions and expulsions reflected problems in public schools.

“I think you get truancy and people misbehaving in all schools,” Philip Evans said.

Pam McMillan said she supported suspension and expulsion as punishment.

“There should be more of it,” she said.

“I’m not surprised there are more kids being suspended when you see the way they sometimes react to situations and how agitated they can get.”

Ms McMillan said students were given too many chances.

Joanne Moir said she was confident suspension kept her children and others students safe.

“There needs to be discipline for action,” she said.

“I think in-school suspension is a better idea because it’s less like a holiday.”

Mr Smith said suspensions were not an easy way out for students.

“They are given work to do, which their teachers follow-up,” he said.

“It’s done that way so teachers have time to put measures in place to better accommodate them.

“It’s better to take action to assist students to modify behaviour than do nothing.”